• Cate

How to use the Column of Colour

There is a magical thing in the world of Image Consultancy and style. That is the Column of Colour. This nifty little trick should be your go-to if you want to manipulate your body, and change up your look. One of the things I love about style analysis and knowing how to use colours is being able to enhance and disguise certain areas, as we please. So, if you're thinking what the heck is this colour column - read on as I break it on down for you.


What is the Column of Colour?

Wait, wait, wait, before I start worshiping this column of colour, what exactly is this thing? The basics of it are that you would wear 75% of one colour, and 25% of a different colour. Or, two items of clothing are one colour, with a third item in a different colour. We can use this magical formula to elongate the body, making ourselves look slimmer and taller. This use of colour can also draw the eye up and away from any problem areas (bye, bye cookie pouch, we see you no more). Adding on to this, it can just be a really nice and simple way to tie an outfit together. It's a good tip to not use more than 2-3 colours in an outfit, so sticking to the column of colour can help with this.


How do I use the Column of Colour?

I'm so glad you asked! The best way to work this is to wear a top and bottoms in the same colour, with a different coloured item layered over the top. For example, a cardigan, blazer, scarf etc. When getting the 75% of one colour, these don't have to be exactly the same colour but you want to keep a similar depth and intensity in both fabrics. So, we've all heard that black is a slimming colour. But, it's not just black that can work this wonder, any dark colour will do the trick. You want to ensure that your predominant colour (the 75% colour) is darker than the remaining 25%. We will always notice a lighter colour first so attention is going to go straight to wherever you put that light colour. In other words, don't be wearing light trousers if you don't want everyone looking at your legs.

It's also a good idea to pay attention to the colour of your footwear. You don't want anything too contrasting or eye catching, as again the attention will just be brought to your feet. Which, can mean legs appear shorter, thus ruining the effect of the column of colour. You gotta treat it with respect.



So, what does this mean for me?

If you regularly read my blog then you know that you gotta get that colour analysis done to find out which season you are. People will fall into one of four seasons with colour; Winter, Summer, Autumn or Spring. Whilst we can all use the column of colour, we need to make sure we are still using the right colours for ourselves. Because I am so nice and want you looking and feeling amazing, here are a couple of suggestions of how you can make the column of colour work for you.


Winter: Keep the overall main colour in a neutral black and add a pop with a magenta blazer. Or, if you want something more subtle, a lovely burgundy would work beautifully. If you want to try working three colours your main two could be in black with a dark blue, and then add the brighter colour over the top of this.


Autumn: Your neutral colour is brown, so find a lovely dark chocolate brown and overlay this with a gorgeous teal pashmina or scarf. For a brighter option you could choose an orange or mustard. Getting fancy with three colours could mean trying your main colour in a dark purple, of slightly different shades, with an olive over the top.


Summer: Your main go to predominant colour could be navy. You could work this with a light pink cardigan or jacket. For a more subtle option try mauve. If you want to play around with three colours you could try grey with a greyed violet and blue over the top of this.


Spring: A neutral colour for you could be buff. Pair this with a coral blazer, or you could try with a yellow-green. If you're going to try mixing three colours together you could pair the buff with camel and a brighter colour over the top.


Now that you've learnt the rules of the glorious column of colour you can now go have fun. Play around with different colours and see what items pair well together. Just don't forget the all important 75% to 25%. Maths that I can get on with!

2 views

Email: contact@confidentstylings.com

Phone Number: 07951886298

Privacy Policy